Thursday, May 17, 2012

Fairytale Stitching

So interesting the way creative making and stitching takes me on a path that I did not see coming.
My sewing lately has turned to dollmaking of a unique kind.

 I wanted to create a group of fairytale like creatures who might just live deep inside  a magical woodland. I am always peering under leaves, between bushes and behind meadow grasses to spot treasures for my nature table. Why not sew up some sweet little fairytale folks and woodsy friends to complete my mental picture?

The ideas flowed and the stitching followed. Really very little trial and error here. I had a clear vision of how they should look. Love when that happens.

Elf Forest Folk

First the Forest Folk- all woodsy colored felt and wool.
Lichen, moss, goldenrod, thistle, the spring green of new leaves and the deep plum of autumn .
 Stitches visible to celebrate the handmade.
Filled with warm wool roving.
Thoughtful expressions. Quiet demeaner.
 Little bear ears, deer ears and antlers, pointed green elf ears, soft rabbit ears.
Shy faces partially hidden behind hooded cloaks.
 It ideas came quickly and there are many, many steps but I must say that they are such a joy to make. Very tactile. warm and soft.


Hooded Elf Doll


Then there is the embroidery. Wool and silk, linen and cotton threads. My heart sings to use such beautiful threads.I freehand stitch without a pattern, like sketching with thread, sometimes lightly penciling an outline to keep my bearings.

Leaping Rabbit
Well, then there followed rather quickly the mice, swans, owls, foxes, forest cats, woodland ponies. Lest the Forest Folk become lonely.
Some made from luscious wool felt, others from thrifted wool or silk suits and jackets.

Mrs Mouse Dressed for Visiting


Woodland Owl  (Previously Rather Ugly Jacket)


I love to cut into a fresh piece of richly colored wool, apply thread and make it come alive as a small animal. More transforming is taking a quite ugly suit, salvaging the best bits, and refashioning it into a thing of beauty. A woodland animal who lives in the magic woods!
Happiness is a stack of prepped wool waiting upstairs in my workroom. Then the sewing hours will fly by as I get lost in the woods with my woolly family!

1 comment:

  1. I truly cannot believe what your business has transformed into. The attention to detail, the whimsy, the calm and nurturing nature of your spirit all come through, a shining beacon of light-heardeness standing strong against the currents of a sometimes dreary and pale world. Love you!

    ReplyDelete